Self proclaimed j. crew addict – I’ve always loved their comfortable bag skirts. Every season, they appear in different colors and limited edition plaids that I must have. However, for less than the cost of a Starbucks coffee you can have one in every color.
1.5 yards cotton fabric
1 yard 3/4″ elastic
- First, get your measurements. Take a measurement around the largest part of your rump (yes- i said rump ~monkey holding hands over eyes emoji~). Divide that measurement in half and add 2.5″. Decide the length you want your finished skirt to be and add 3.5″.The first measurement is the width & the second is the length. Cut two pieces of your fabric equaling these dimensions.
- place them wrong side together and sew up the sides.
- Keeping your skirt inside out and fold over and press 3.5″ from the top. Sew the seam closed almost all the way around the skirt – leave ~ 1.5″open.
- From that seam, ~ 1.25″ towards the fold sew another seam. This time sew all the way around the skirt. (if your elastic is wider than 3/4″, you need to measure accordingly).
- Feed your elastic (which is 1-2″ less than your waist measurement) through the casing, sew the two ends of elastic together using a zig zag stitch. Double check the elastic is not twisted inside the casing.
- Finish the bottom of your skirt by folding up 1/2″ and sewing around the skirt