Picking fresh fruit is one of my favorite annual summer treats, as at least half of what I gather goes straight in my belly. There’s nothing quite like the tartness of a fresh blueberry or the crunchy sweetness of an apple. This July we drove a little outside the city to Indian Head Farm in Belmont, MA. A cute little farm about fifteen off the highway, it was a tiny adventure as our Zipcar traded paved roads for gravel. There is something about the pop of dirt under tires that always makes me anxious for home. In any case, this cute little farm was home to hundreds of blueberry bushes that were home to hungry humans like ourselves, no bears here!
Since it was such a hot day, I wore a light tank and my new DIY skirt for the occasion. Movement and comfort while driving, even a short way, is essential to a happy inner me. Together, my lovely copilot and I, filled two huge buckets as souvenirs for home.
So recently I’ve been slacking on the DIY portion, simply because summer is fun and making tutorials is quite time consuming. So, for the upcoming months you’ll definitely see echoes of summer tutorials. Hopefully, this will help keep you warm on chilly nights ahead ☺️ scroll down for DIY details!
To make this skirt you’ll need
- 1.5-2 yards of 45″ lightweight cotton
- Matching thread
- 1 yard 1/2″ elastic
1. Measure your waist & multiply by two. Measure this as the Width Of your skirt & cut. Next, decide the length of your skirt and add 3″ total. This will be the length and seam allowance.
2. Sew along the length of the skirt, so that it looks like a tube.
3. Measure the elastic to your waist and subtract 1-2 inches to make it snug but not tight.
4. While your “tube” is inside out- Fold and press down 1″ around the top and bottom.
5. Pin and sew all the way around the complete the hem at the bottom of your skirt.
6. Pin and sew around the top of the skirt, leaving a 1″ gap.
7. Thread the elastic using a safety pin. Ensuring it’s flat all the way around. Sew the elastic together and then sew the 1″ gap closed
8. Your skirt is finished!!!
Necklace RocksBox (free month with code onecrafDIYgirlxoxo) / Skirt (me/ similar options below) / Purse (similar below)
& on this lemon skirt – If you are are not crafDIY like me you can get the same look from many stores, as lemon print is very popular this summer.0